Drama Lesson Plan
|A dalang is a puppeter in wayang show|
In this unit, students will learn about:
· History of wayang kulit
· Wayang kulit stories ‘Pandawa and Kurawa’
· How the wayang are made
· The performance elements of wayang kulit
· How the wayang kulit are used and operated
· Wayang and technology: Light, music and slide projector
· Wayang and society in the modern era
The Lesson Objectives:
- Students are able to recognize the various elements of wayang puppet theatre.
- Students are able to operate wayang puppet through performance
Activity 1: tuning in -Brainstorming
- Students make notes about what information they already knew about wayang kulit (KWL concept/mind map/ice break, etc)
- Viewing video of wayang kulit profile or show the You Tube clip about wayang kulit theatre.
- Show students the images of wayang kulit puppet
- Find out or Research about wayang kulit puppet
- Excursion to Wayang Museum
Activity 2: Operate wayang
- Wayang demonstration (teacher in role)
- Students will practice how to operate wayang with the movements and gestures (individual, using one wayang character)
- Make wayang interactions with other characters (in pair activity)
- Incorporating light and music
- Elements of Drama: Timing ‘ wayang entrances and exits’
Activity 3: Reading exercise
- Read a wayang play or an excerpt of Ramayana, Rama Sita, Pandawa Kurawa (Indonesian stories version)
Activity 4: Characterization
Students will be introduced to some character in wayang and how to identify them.
- Good Characters (protagonist)
- Bad Characters (antagonist)
- Tone, accents, articulation, chorus, etc.
Developing voice characters
Developing an appropriate voice for the character that is recognizable by the audience.
Activity 5: Design your own performance
- In groups, students decide what their play is going to be about
- Rehearse the production using elements of wayang performace
- Construct the props, stage, lighting, audience areas and music
Activity 6: Rehearsal
Activity 7: Reflection
- Students reflect on and evaluate their parts and how they played it.
- Students write their own reflection about the performance within the group
Activity 8: Wayang Show (assessment)